Wednesday 12 October 2011

Souvenir Punk

Can you still get these in London souvenir shops? I wouldn't be surprised. The thing I like most about this is that they've still used the same baby-faced doll that they used for beefeaters, and guardsmen and policemen, and Scottish pipers and Welsh ladies and every other British souvenir doll. Only this time they've added different accessories.

I could have a moan about how this stereotype runs counter to everything that the original punk DIY ethic ever meant. How 'punk' now just means black leather with studs, and nothing exciting and original, like the good old days. How the first person to use safety pins as jewellery was a punk, all the others were just mindless sheep. How every youthful rebellion is eventually viewed as a harmless fad. How it makes me feel old....

But I won't, because in the end, this doll is just plain funny.

2 comments:

Jane Housham said...

Sorry, but that is absolutely brilliant. I want!

Country Cottage Chic said...

Love the wonky fake fur hair!