Friday 7 October 2011

Pope John Paul II Paper Doll Book

 I've mentioned before that I prefer real religious kitsch to the jokey fake stuff. This book looks like it must be a joke, but I can assure you that it isn't. Published in 1984, it was a genuine tribute to Pope John Paul II.
I'll share some of the cover blurb -
"[This] fascinating collection of four finely rendered paper dolls, 19 costumes and accessories - all in full, authentic color - recreate the Pope's eventful life. You'll find young Karol Jozef - with military school uniform, regular school clothes (and soccer ball) and altar boy's robe." 

 "And of course you'll find paper dolls and costumes showing the full range of Karol Jozef Wojtyla's brilliant church career..."
 "..with a wide array of accurately detailed and colored ecclesiastical raiment, including:
ordination robes            simar
cassock                            rochet
chasuble                          pallium
archiepiscopal attire    mozzetta
cardinal's attire            papal miter
...and more"
 It's pontiriffic!!

The same artist (Tom Tierney) published paper dolls of Marilyn Monroe and Judy Garland, which you might expect. Less expected are the paper dolls of Ronald Reagan and Nancy Reagan! I must look out for those...

1 comment:

TK said...

I remember this! I may even have had one. I do still have that Pope on a plate.