Monday 21 May 2012

My Latest Purchase

As a collector of curious objects, I often have to go with my instincts. At a car boot sale you don't always have time to consider things carefully. When I saw this painting (literally in someone's car boot) on Saturday, I was immediately drawn to it as something weird and interesting. I'm not sure how much I would have paid for it, but I got it for £3 and I was happy with my bargain.

Now I know some of you will look at it, and think that I paid £3 too much, but if you're like me and have an eye for folk art/ outsider art/ naive art, call it what you will, then I hope you'll understand.

I put it up in the living room when we got home, just to try it out, and have been looking at it for the rest of the weekend, and I absolutely LOVE it. Apart from the fact that it's Indian, I know nothing about it. I don't know why there is a stripey elephant emerging from the side of the woman's head, or whether there is any meaning or significance to any of it. And I don't think I ever want to know. It's one of those things that just feel right, and I'm very pleased to own it.

No comments: